Tuesday, September 21, 2010

:: What creature is that? ::

Today is a good day to know alittle tiny bit more about the country I live in. Lets track back to the pre-Raffles era of Singapore.

Long before your time…

Sang Nila Utama, a prince of Palembang, was out hunting at one of the islands in Riau (Indonesia). A deer caught his attention and off he went, chasing for the kill. He came to a very large rock and decided “hey maybe I should climb it”. Climb the large rock he did. Once he was at the top, he saw (in the distance) an island with a sandy beach. The island, to him, looks like a large piece of white cloth.

“What land is that?” asked Sang Nila Utama.

“I believe that is Temasek my lord” answered his trusted minister (also known as his “left ball” or “ambre” now).

“We shall visit Temasek!” Sang Nila Utama shouted with fist in the air.

Relieved was the deer he was chasing as the mysterious Temasek has saved its life.

Now, we shall fast forward this story alittle bit. I’ll summarise some parts of what happen during the voyage.

- A storm hit the boat Sang Nila Utama was in

- He had to throw anything heavy out to sea as his ship was taking in water

- Only when he threw his crown into the sea did the storm stopped.

Sang Nila Utama finally landed at the mouth of the present-day Singapore River and decided, “now lets hunt!” The moment he said that, a strange animal with a red body, black head and a white breast appeared. It was an awesomely leuwau looking animal and it moved with great speed as it disappeared into the forest. Most people would have shake and stutter at the sight of such greatness. Not Sang Nila Utama, who decided upon seeing that animal to ask his left b--, I mean his trusted minister,

“What animal was that?”

“Sir, that fine looking animal is probably a lion.” Answered his minister.

“I see. Than, we shall screw the name Temasek and name this place…. Wait for it… Singapura!” claimed Sang Nila Utama with his right fist up high in the air.

His ministers cheered and clapped. Sang Nila Utama ruled Singapura for 48 years after that day.

Little did his majesty know, that his minister was wrong. Singapura (which means Lion City in Malay) was the wrong name given at that time. Why? Because recent research has shown that lions have never ever lived in Singapore. What they saw probably was a tiger. I guess this is what should have probably happen.

… who decided upon seeing that animal to ask his left b--, I mean his trusted minister,

“What animal was that?”

“Sir, that fine looking animal is probably a lion.” Answered his minister.

“I see. Are you sure? “ asked his Majesty.

“Yes sir. I read somewhere that a lion looks like what your majesty have just said.” Answered his minister.

“Really? The thing is my friend, I know someone who knows someone who have talked to someone who has shown him a picture of a lion. The first thing he noticed is that lions have a mane. I don’t see any mane on that particular creature. Do you take me as a fool!” screams Sang Nila Utama

“No sir! I do not take you as a fool! Pardon my idiotness. I’m such a stooge!” the minister said as he knelt down on his majesty feet.

“Imbecile! That! My fellow subjects….” Sang Nila Utama said pointing to the direction of where the animal was at, “Is a Kucinta! Therefore, screw the name Temasek! I shall name this place…. Wait for it… Kucintapura!” claimed Sang Nila Utama with his right fist up high in the air.

His fellow minister cheered as Sang Nila Utama held his fist up high, looking upwards towards the sky, soaking in the praises and congratulations thrown to him by his subjects.

p.s - I just like to add that although this is a twisted rendition of the story, no form of disrespect is to be aimed to the Deer, Tiger, Lion, Minister, Angry Ocean, Sang Nila Utamas crown or Sang Nila Utama himself. Read the REAL articles here and here.

No comments: