Wednesday, September 08, 2010

:: An answer to the Merlion mystery ::

I emailed a bunch of organizations to figure out if they know the story behind the extra twin Merlions I saw. So far only 1 came back to me with an answer. Here it is.

Dear Wan

Greetings from the Singapore Tourism Board (STB)!

Thank you for your e-mail.

With regard to your enquiry., I have checked with our Communications department and was informed that there are now 8 (not 5) merlions in Singapore, that STB is aware of. They are:

- Merlion Park x 2 (main Merlion and the Merlion cub)
- Sentosa x 1
- Mount Faber x 1
- STB x 1
- Ang Mo Kio x 2
- Lilliputt x 1

History/Background
The Merlion was designed in 1964 by Mr Fraser Brunner, a member of the souvenir committee and a curator of the Van Kleef Aquarium. On 20 July 1966, the Merlion was registered as the trademark of the Singapore Tourist Promotion Board (STPB).

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us at our touristline 1800 736 2000 (+65 6736 2000 from overseas) between 8am to 9pm daily.

Thank you.

Now, I know its not a complete answer. Which only means 1 thing. More research. Come on people, answer my emails!

I like to thank Singapore Tourism Board (STB) for the quick reply.

No comments: