Thursday, July 08, 2010

:: Chronicles of a broken fibula ::

22nd November 2009

The day that start it all. First day of work, went to help out a friend and lost my footing. Can't walk without making funny faces. Slept.

23rd November 2009

Got up, can't even stand. Took off from work and went to the nearest Polyclinic. Doctor said, "Its a broken ankle, have to send you down to the hospital." Consultation with the doctor and was put on a cast until the end of the year. This is how my ankle looked like with a hairline crack.




















8th July 2010

Got back from the doctors and was told the excellent news that my bone is fully healed and I was put on a 2 year calling list. That's around 8 months of healing (maybe earlier if I'm no smoker).




















During this 8 months, it taught me so many things. It got me focused and it got me recharged to take life by the balls and make it work. You see people, life at times don't go our way. Instead of changing things, we should adapt. Adapt to the situation. Those first 2 months is the most humbling time I was ever put into. I learned to be patient. I learned to be more focus on what I want. I saw real friends emerge from the shadows and helped me mentally to get thru that really painful period. I saw what and who is more important in my life. Was it painful? Well it was. Not physically, but mentally. It was only during that time was I force to sit back and look at my life as a whole and make decisions on what's important. What are they? Well, in time people will see. Is it negative? Well no. I can't be putting negatives into my life when all I'm striving for is the positives. Happy to survive that hard test in my life, happy to be where I am now in life and really really super stroke to be told my ankle is fine. Now 2010, what more can I get done before this ends? Should take pictures of the cast i was in that was decorated. Good times.

1 comment:

Zesty Zaftig said...

I broke my fibula on November 30th, and found your blog during a Google search.

I really identify with your thoughts on this. Ironically, my fracture occured a week after a radiation treatment during my third battle with cancer, yet this broken leg has changed me more than my entire cancer experience. I've learned to be at peace with my own thoughts, to let others help me, to be patient (like you pointed out), and to adapt- lessons that aren't necessarily garnered from chronic illnesses, but rather by experiences that make you immobile (like a broken weight-bearing bone).